Four Most Common Poisonous Plants

While nature has brought us all a lot of beautiful flowers, it has also delivered numerous poisonous plants that can really hurt us if we’re not properly protected. In fact, in the past, these types of plants have caused everything from headaches to death. Check out our list below of the most common poisonous plants to watch out for:

1. Narcissus

Thanks to their yellow and white colors, most people assume that the narcissus plant is completely innocent. Well, that would be far from the truth because they’re actually quite toxic, especially if you eat large amounts of their bulbs. Ingesting too much of the narcissus plant can lead to nausea, cramps, vomiting and diarrhea. Unfortunately, this ends up happening a lot because the narcissus plant is easy to confuse with onions.

2. Rhododendron

When springtime rolls around, rhododendrons seem like the perfect addition to any garden. They have bell-shaped flowers that come in a bunch of different bright colors, livening up your backyard. However, their leaves are actually toxic, as well as the honey that’s produced from the flower nectar. If you eat either of those, you’ll end up with a burning mouth, as well as increased salivation, diarrhea, vomiting, and a tingling sensation in the skin. That’s not even the worst, though. Your heart rate could end up slowing down, causing you to fall into a coma and experience fatal convulsions.

3. Ficus

Whether you know ficus as a weeping fig or a benjamin tree, this plant is poisonous thanks to the milky sap in their leaves, as well as their stems. There are roughly 800 different types of ficus trees, although most are grown in pots and tubs indoors or else outside in a warm location. If you come into contact with a ficus, your skin will start to itch and you may begin puffing up.

4. Lily-of-the-valley

The lily-of-the-valley plant, which is also known as mayflowers, are extremely poisonous starting from the tips of their small bell-shaped white flowers to the water it’s placed in. If you end up eating too much of this plant, you may get a case of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or cramps. That’s not all, though. Your heart rate may slow down or begin beating irregularly. Your best bet is staying far away from a lily-of-the-valley plant if you ever come into contact with one.

Leave a Comment